Saturday, January 31, 2009

...Of Business Trips and Mardi Gras Beads

I just got back from a business trip to New Orleans and have to say... my kids are troopers. As I trudged out of the house in the early morning last week on my way to a four day trip, both kids gave me smiles and kisses (of course, after I promised uber gifts upon my return) and then turned back to Hubs and played with reckless abandon.

On my way over to a colleague's house I felt good- my kids were safe and secure in my love for them and knew I would be back. Right? I picked up a co-worker and watched as her two year old daughter cried and clung to her neck. Wait a minute....Why did my kids not act that way when I left? Thinking back, they turned away before I was even out the door. Daddy was being a cool T-Rex and mom was... what, extinct?

Now, just to be straight, I am not one of the moms who needs her kids to fall all over her in order to know their love. I see it in their numerous kisses and the way my son equates every over-protective animal mom in our stories to me and the small animal the rabid mother is protecting to him. But... come on kids, I was on bed rest for your asses - squeeze out a tear already!

As it turns out, my fears were quelled the moment I returned from my trip- running, bursting hugs ensued, screaming "fans" could hardly get through the door fast enough. I laughed out loud to see them, crouched down to take in the assault of hugs and kisses and breathed them in - my wonderfully secure and fabulously in-love kids. T-Rex be Damned!

No comments:

Post a Comment